9.14.2010

The Habit of Not Listening

I was just thinking the last few days how often I'm so caught up in my own thoughts and activities that I don't really listen to those who interact with me. In looking at that, I began to realize that often I give - at best - about half an ear to those around me. It's become a habit, and one that isn't serving very well.

So yesterday I made a conscious effort to listen more and talk less, and wouldn't you know it, the first thing that showed up was a huge misunderstanding between my daughter and myself. I wasn't hearing what she was saying, and since I wasn't, she wasn't hearing what I was saying. Lots of drama from both of us, very little communication. Oh my, how the universe responds with our lessons when we ask to learn them! It's almost annoying how consistently that works.

Given my recent interest in this topic, I was intrigued today to get April & Allen Crawford's message from Veronica having to do with that very subject. Maybe more people than just me can use the reminder. Here it is:
Listening

In the linear reality many aspire to be proactive in their participation. They gallantly display their energy to anyone who may be near. Seeking the connection to their existence they often speak of the connection of mind, body, and spirit.

It is a habit of those embodied to speak more than they listen. The resonating tenor of their voice makes them feel productive and vital in the physical environment. It is happening everywhere one looks.... a lot of talkers but very few listeners.

We are sure that the many who have much to say are lacking when it comes to hearing the whispers of their own souls. An unfortunate moment since it is often the subtle expressions that provoke the most growth.

We would advise all who aspire to connect with their souls to listen carefully to the breath of a newborn, the song of a grass hopper, and the cry of a kitten as it searches for its mother.

The vibration of your own soul can be heard on a clear evening in the garden. It is the desire to focus on these simple moments that begins the greatest growth.

Be still.

Listen to the pulse of your soul.

The rhythm will sound out a clear message to your heart. If only you would listen the wonders of the universe would be revealed.

Try.

See what occurs.

Listen.

No comments: