2.08.2010

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul.

With all its sham,
drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

From the poem by Max Ehrmann
©1927 (renewed) Bell & Son Publishing, LLC

Desiderata, which in Latin means "things desired" has been a favorite of mine since I first heard it in my early teens. I've never had much of a head for memorization, but I found myself remembering this last portion of the poem after having read it only a few times. Its haunting words have drifted back into my mind often throughout my life. I have found that each time I remembered them, the words brought me back to center and refreshed my knowing that all is well, no matter how things might appear on the surface.

You can find the full poem in many places on the internet, like here.

No comments: